Stunning flavours await with this ultra-simple recipe. Just plan ahead for the curing time.
Duck prosciutto with walnuts, sherry, golden raisins & tarragon
- 4 Great Ocean Road duck breasts
- 100g black peppercorns
- 100g pink peppercorns
- 100g red Aleppo
- 200g coriander seeds
- 100g Szechuan pepper
- 100g smoked paprika
- 3kg rock salt
- Toast off all peppers and lightly blend, setting half of the mix aside.
- Lightly pulse remaining pepper mix with rock salt in the blender.
- Layer rock salt mix and duck breast heavily covering all of the skin and the flesh. Leave packed and covered for two days.
- Remove the breast from the salt mix and brush clean with a pastry brush. Soak in water for five minutes then pat dry. Season the breasts heavily with remaining pepper mix.
- Wrap the breasts individually in muslin cloth and truss lightly. Hang in a cool place for five days. Brush off spice mix and vacuum seal in a bag. Store until use.
Walnut tarator sauce
- 100g walnuts
- 40ml sherry vinegar
- 1½ cups fresh coriander
- 200ml Mount Zero Olive Oil
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 30g finely brunoised shallot
- Salt and pepper
- Roast the walnuts in the oven at 200°C for five minutes.
- Rub off as much of the skins as possible in a tea towel.
- Chiffonade the coriander.
- Whisk in ingredients for the tarator sauce.
Golden raisin puree
- 250g golden raisins
- 300ml sauternes
- 25g Chinese five spice
- 500ml water
- 250ml verjus
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and reduce down until liquid is sticky. Blend until a smooth puree and set aside.
Thinly slice duck breast lengthways and arrange three on a plate. Pipe golden raisin puree and spoon over tarator sauce. Garnish with tarragon, blood mustard and wood sorrel leaves.